Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, the Baháʼí faith and many others share a central commitment to the sacredness of every person.
Welcome the refugee.
Treat the stranger as your own.
Compassion knows no borders.
Love has no walls.
For more than twenty years, the Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity has been joining hands with people of faith to act on these core beliefs. We defend the humanity of the immigrant and fight for the rights of the incarcerated. Working at the intersection of spirituality and social movements, we mobilize congregations to take a stand on issues of social justice like immigration and mass incarceration… [read more]
🎉This is what people's power looks like! The California Legislature rejected $360.6 million in capital outlay spending for Governor Newsom’s ill-defined San Quentin Rebranding project. In less than a month, this community has successfully mobilized to block a multi-million dollar prison expansion scheme, which was only recently announced in the May Budget Revision!🔥💥 We are grateful to the state legislature, especially its leadership, for listening to the voice of the people and voting against this harmful proposal in their budget considerations. But the fight’s not over. 🚨The Assembly passed $20 million from the general fund for the San Quentin project,
Please take action today to urge the CA state Assembly Budget Committee to reject Governor Newsom’s recent proposal to rebrand San Quentin as a ‘rehabilitation center.’
Instead of saving California billions by closing more state prisons, the Governor is proposing to spend $20 million from the General Fund on his ill-defined San Quentin rebranding project, and threatening to take the state into debt for $360.6 million more. This wasteful misallocation of millions in resources would be better used for community-based care and decarceration efforts. Use the toolkit to easily write letters and make calls >> bit.ly/SQaction
5/24-5/25: STOP San Quentin Proposal Toolkit
Action toolkit for 5/24 & 5/25: Reject the San quentin PRISON Expansion plan Share this toolkit widely: bit.ly/SQaction Share our post on Twitter Share our post on Instagram TOMORROW: Assembly Budget Committee Hearing Thursday, May 25th TIME TBD TAKE ACTION NOW! Today (5/24): Send in...
Sergio, one of our IM4HI leaders who was accompanied by the Nueva Esperanza Accompaniment Teams, writes about how recent measures don't protect the right to asylum for all, and further exclude the most vulnerable. Read the whole article >>
‘Humanitarian Parole’ Excludes the Most Vulnerable Immigrants
“Humanitarian parole is really seeking to reduce the number of irregular entries into the United States. It is not all bad, but it's not inclusive and not flexible with folks who are seeking asylum.”…
Our Email Newsletter
- Why They Can’t Wait: Hunger Striking To End Immigrant DetentionIn mid February of this year, 84 immigrants detained at two Central Valley detention facilities run by the GEO Group, the second largest prison company in the world began a hunger strike to protest the inhumane conditions, expired food, lack of medical care and exploitative labor conditions. They remained on hunger strike for weeks, until […]
- IM4HI Strategic Plan 2022-2025Learn about our core strategies and goals for 2022-2025 to defend the dignity and rights of immigrants and incarcerated people through advocacy, organizing and accompaniment. Together we work for the liberation of all people! Download the full Strategic Plan 2022-2025.
- Ahead of border confusion, Catholic sisters take Mother’s Day to a migrant shelter… Hilda Cruz, of the Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity, shared with migrants at the [Cobino shelter in Mexicali, Mexico] her migration story from her native Mexico, entering the U.S. as a child without legal permission. She benefited from an amnesty law signed by U.S. President Ronald Reagan in the late 1980s. The next few […]
- Interfaith prayer rally calls for closure of Imperial Regional Detention CenterImperial Valley Press (IVP) reports: CALEXICO – The Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity (IM4HI) held a public prayer service for detained persons at the Imperial Regional Detention Center (IRDC), which ended with a call to have a just closing of the center. IRDC is a temporary holding facility in Calexico that houses individuals who are […]
- Border Experience PilgrimageFaith Leaders from Northern and Southern California will visit Calexico, US and Mexicali, Mexico April 26th-27th, 2023 in a multifaith Pilgrimage to learn and bear witness to struggles immigrants are facing at the U.S. – Mexico border in California, and to call for a better future. The delegation will first travel to Mexico to visit […]